EU blue card (Blau Karte EU).

EU blue card is a resident permit which is issued by the European countries (except some, which will be discussed later) for specific purpose. It is mainly for the citizens of non-EU countries.

I have gathered the information together and from my personal experience dealing with EU blue card.

So below you will find some facts about EU blue card. I hope it will help who is willing to apply. There are some tips I will provide if you find you are not eligible for EU blue card (work permit 18a of the German Residence ACT)

  • The legal Basis of EU blue card: The Transposition Act for the European Union’s Directive on Highly-Qualified Employment (Directive 2009/50/EC) came into force on 1 August 2012. Among other things, this Act has resulted in the introduction of the EU Blue Card as a new residence title as stipulated in section 19a of the German Residence Act (Aufenthaltsgesetz – AufenthG).


  • Countries of Validity: The only countries in which the Directive on Highly-Qualified Employment does not apply are the United Kingdom, Ireland and Denmark, and these countries do not therefore issue anyEU Blue Cards.

  • Conditions to meet: There are few conditions to meet. If someone has a German degree it becomes easier. It’s because the Immigration office (Auslanderbehörde) do not ask the labour office to do verification. However, if someone doesn’t have German degree, it takes some time due to verification. This is mainly done for the foreigner who doesn’t possess German degree and applying from outside of EU for employment. Salary is a key factor.


  • Salary requirement: A person with a working contract with a gross annual compensation of at least €49.600 (4.134 Euros per month), a contract in the so-called shortage occupation (scientists, mathematics, engineers, doctors and IT- skilled workers) with the amount of €38.688 (3.224 Euros per month). Please note, the amount of salary is not fixed. It varies yearly.


  • Applying from outside: A foreigner who gets a valid job offer and doesn’t possess German degree can also apply. In this case a person who is offered a valid job can go the nearest German consulate/embassy and apply. After following the procedures of visa application applying via German consulate/embassy, they send the documents to Germany. It will take some extra time due to labour market verification. Once labour office approved the job, then they will notify the immigration office and you will be issued visa. It takes approximately 6 to 8 weeks but it varies from case to case.


  • Validity of EU card: The EU blue card is issued for 1 year to maximum 4 years depending on your working contract. If you have permanent contract (unbefristet) you will be issued maximum 4 years. Otherwise, depending on your job contract, the visa will be issued plus three months. However, it can be extended depending on your job contract.

  • Becoming permanent residence: A person who possess EU blue card can apply for Permanent residence after 21 months if they have minimum German knowledge B1 level. Otherwise, you can apply after 33 months.



  • Moving to another EU country: Blue card owner have the right to move to another EU country after staying 18 months in Germany.


  • Bringing spouse and work permit: The spouse of the EU blue card holder doesn’t need Basic German level while joining the family. But it is advisable to finish A1 or more, if possible, prior to coming to Germany. It will help to understand some basic things in everyday life. The spouse of the Blue card holder will be issued work permit and they have freedom to work without any restrictions.


  • Invalidity of Blue card: A blue card holder person can stay maximum 12 months out of EU. After that it becomes invalid and you can no longer be able to enter Germany or EU countries.

I have tried my best to point out some important things regarding EU blue card. EU blue card holder can become permanent residence quite fast. In general, it takes more than 5 years to become permanent residence. But EU blue card reduced the time. For example, in ideal case, you have finished your Master’s degree on time and you get a job and you have German B1 level or above language skills. So, within 46months (24 + 21+ 1 month getting card) you are becoming Permanent residence of Germany.

If any one finds not eligible to apply for EU blue card, then don’t get disappointed. You still have chance of getting work permit (§18). You should prove that your job is related to the field of your study. That’s all. In small city, the immigration office is not that smart to deal this cases like the bigger cities i.e. Munich, Frankfurt etc. So, ask someone in BSAAG. But remember this varies from person to person.

Take the best use of it for your future. I hope it helps you.

Leave a Reply